I’ll save you, Dear Reader, from any details or explanations or excuses. Instead, I’ll use it as a launching point for composing a list of Consulting Sins.
- Discussing the client in public
- Posting on-line about the client, especially during client meetings.
- Leaving one client’s name & references in a document or presentation for another client.
- Abusing expense account and billable hours.
- Not being reachable.
- Letting expenses accumulate.
- Failing to submit billable hours on-time.
- Over promising and under delivering.
- Booking yourself in two places at once.
- Lack of preparation.
- Don’t proof read, peer review, spell check, and grammar check things going in front of the client.
- Overestimate the amount of time you have to deliver anything – you never have enough time.
I’m sure there are more. One colleague of mine would definitely include failing to carry a stain remover. Add your recommended cardinal consulting sins in the comments.