Quick summary of how I use Facebook:
- Launch a VPN
- Use a private browser (with ad blocking) to navigate
- I do my Facebook stuff
- I log out of Facebook and then out of said private browser after clearing my browsing history
- I disconnect from the VPN
The moral of the story is that I use Facebook so long as it offers me value. However, I do not use it trivially. If and when I log in, it is with purpose and my session lasts exactly as long as I want.
I set myself up for success:
- I have no app connections or integrations (with my personal website posts going away soon)
- I don’t use Facebook for authentication anywhere
- I do not have any of the mobile apps installed (other than Instagram, and only for the moment)
- I set up two-factor authentication for Facebook login using an Authenticator app (not SMS or email)
What I thoughtlessly shared on Facebook is out there. Time and experience will tell the usefulness of that information and the impact of my data hygiene regimens.
What are you doing to reduce your social media surface and/or take ownership of your data?