By Leo Babauta
Most of us don’t realize how powerful stories are in our lives, because we don’t even notice that we’re telling ourselves a story. But stories shape everything.
For example, the stories you tell yourself is the reason you feel:
- Resentment toward a loved one or coworker
- Guilty about what you haven’t done
- Overwhelmed by all that you need to do
- Anxious about the uncertainty of the world
- Stuck in your old habits
- Avoidant of your difficult tasks
- Bored or lonely
Nothing in the basic reality of life makes us feel these things. It’s our stories about our reality that creates the feelings.
Leo nailed this. I strongly recommend reading his post.
I cannot tell you how often I’m driving or in the shower or doing dishes or something else equally mundane where I find I’m doing this very thing. Part of my therapy is using this in my favor.