Amazon Kindle e-readers are showing a blank screen – Good e-Reader:
Amazon Kindle e-readers are suffering from a major bug. Customers are receiving new Kindles with a blank screen out of the box and the e-reader cannot be used, existing e-readers are also suffering from the same issue. The problem stems from the new Kindle UI that the company implemented last year, that makes the Kindle e-reader look similar to the apps for Android and iOS. Kindle users have petitioned Amazon and the company says they are working on a fix.
There is no rhyme or reason why this glitch is happening. Some users are just using their Kindle normally and all of a sudden they have a blank screen. Some new users go through the setup process and are reading an ebook and all of a sudden the entire e-reader becomes unresponsive. Reboots and wiping the device seems to have no effect. Users on Reddit speculate that some of the backend services provided by Amazon that power the Kindle experience are having problems.
I stopped trusting Amazon on updates years ago. Here’s my solution; YMMV:
- Get to a version of the Kindle Firmware which makes you happy, or at least doesn’t fill you with rage
- Turn on airplane mode
- Delete your wifi information from the device
- Go to Amazon and delete your saved WiFi information
- Download your books to a PC or Mac and transfer them to your reader
- Use a tool like Calibre to help you manage your device
- Search out legal non-DRM options for when Amazon eventually blocks downloads for USV¥B transfer
My advice for other ebook vendors is basically the same.