Tonight I’m staring down the barrel of 2018 in the same seat I occupied 365 days ago. I’m 13.5 months into my Japan stay. I don’t do resolutions, but I have some notes:
- I forgot or didn’t realize how much Tokyo empties out over New Year’s. Next year I want to plan a trip to a non-Japan and non-US destination.
- I still don’t own a bicycle. It’s the perfect example of a Sunday night sudden recollection. I’ve added it to my task list for next week.
- I want to get back to a destination every weekend. I’ve been content getting all “hygge” lately. That’s fine, but I can get cozy anywhere.
- I want to add the dimension of traveling outside of Tokyo at least once a month. I intended to in the second half of last year but failed to plan adequately.
- I’m in a rut as to restaurants, pubs, and haunts. I should set up some SMART goals to mix things up more.
I’m looking forward to starting Japanese classes in January. I get a reset-of-sorts at work which will be interesting. I might even host some of my friends at my house for a get together in January.
There is one thing resolution-ish in my wish list for 2018: I want to do nothing that I will regret.