What I am doing now …
I’m still lucky to have a sister and brother-in-law who let me stay with them in Chattanooga, TN while I figure out my next move. I work from home, especially these quarantined days, and am thankful for those who continue to go into work to do things like shipping, delivering, stocking, and a mind-boggling array of other things one cannot do remotely.
Sister’s family is off to North Carolina for the next few weeks, so I house sit. I’ve mowed the yard. I’ve been smoking and grilling meats. I’m getting back in to camping, kayaking, and continue hiking around here.
I’m “on the bench”, a bad state for a consulting security professional.
Struggling with malaise, ennui, and some moderate depression.
- Maybe You Should Talk To Someone by Lori Gottlieb
- 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Network Effect by Martha Watson
- The Last Emperox by John Scalzi
- To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers
- The Colour of Magic by Terry Prachett (Public Library) (review coming)
- Lock In by John Scalzi
- Head On by John Scalzi
- Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson (review coming)
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
- The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (Public Library) (review coming)
- How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States by Daniel Immerwahr (Public Library)
- The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury by Bill Watterson
- New Girl
- Hyori’s Bed & Breakfast
- Arrested Development
- The Good Fight
- Frasier – quick review: S1-3 were funny but the stick grows old; still play it in the background sometimes while working.
- Community – quick review: S1-3 so great; S4 off the rails & unwatchable; S5-6 tried to right the ship and almost made it.
- Star Trek: Picard – quick review: meh; glad I watched it but too much soap opera in it.
- Space Force – quick review: not for me; great cast making the best out of some lousy writing; so many missed opportunities to be funny.
- Upload – quick review: not for me; only like 1 main character (Nora); again, so many missed opportunities for humor; hard not to unfavorably compare it to The Good Place.
- Podcasts, though mostly just TBTL – Too Beautiful To Live (APM | other pod places)
- A work focus playlist on Apple Music made up of game soundtracks
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Vacationland – True Stories From Painful Beaches by John Hodgman (Public Library | Libro.FM) (review coming)
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twiain read by Nick Offerman
… I rebooted this site to make it more IndieWeb friendly, ActivityPub enabled, and more social in general. I cast of years of technical debt aside (but all is still available at TokyoGringo.myjp.net).
Last updated 30 May 2020
Thanks to Derek Sivers for the idea.