What I am doing now …
It’s there, over the horizon.
Still in Seoul for work. I head home in 4 days. While I’ve enjoyed my time here, I’m ready to be home. I’ve been busy and expect to stay that way.
My prof gave me an incomplete and we’re working out how to let me finish.
I’m in a weird spot, being overseas and all, and the lack of family time bums me out. I like Seoul and want to see more of it. COVID numbers continue going up, so my desire to go to crowded places is going down. I’m having fun nevertheless, but still meh.
SO is keeping my spirits up, which is nice. I miss being with her.
- Think Again, Adam Grant
- Ilium, Dan Simmons
- Originals, Adam Grant
- The Atlantic
- The New Yorker
- The New York Times
- New Yorker
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- The Chattanooga Times Free Press
- The Tennessee Lookout
My reading was down last week.
- Fugitive Telemetry, Martha Wells (not as enjoyable as the previous material but just what I needed when I needed it; 3 of 5)
- The Galaxy, and the Ground Within, Becky Chambers (I’m sad-bordering-on-despondent she’s leaving this universe; 4.5 of 5)
- Mythic Quest, Apple TV+ (S2 through 4 eps; has it’s moments but too many jokes are “hit over the head”; wasting F. Murray Abraham; 2/5)
- One Day At A Time, Netflix (old school sitcom reboot that’s actually funny with occasional “Very Special Episodes” and camp; Rita Moreno steals her scenes but the rest of the cast doesn’t make that easy for her to do; this show was horribly marketed by Netflix; 4/5)
- Mythic Quest, Apple TV+ (last Ep of S1 in prep for S2; has it’s moments but often falls into easy tropes; 2.5/5)
- Love, Death & Robots, Netflix (S2; short vignettes easy to consume, all in different styles; 3/5)
- Trying, Apple TV+ (S1 through 3 eps; it really runs hot and cold for me, all in the same episode; might give it up; 2/5)
- Podcasts, mostly Jordan, Jesse, Go and Stop Podcasting Yourself.
- Phoebe Bridgers
- Wall of Voodoo
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Obscured by Clouds, Pink Floyd
- I’m on a TBTL – Too Beautiful To Live (APM | other pod places) hiatus right now. Will pick it back up when I get back home.
- A work focus playlist on Apple Music made up of game soundtracks
- A lot of Phoebe Bridgers and related artists.
- Rediscovered Cowboy Mouth
- Love Ire and Song, Frank Turner
- She, Harry Connick Jr.
- Gimme Fiction, Spoon
- How We Operate, Gomez
… I rebooted this site to make it more IndieWeb friendly, ActivityPub enabled, and more social in general. I intended to cast off years of technical debt aside (but all is still available at TokyoGringo.myjp.net), but ended up re-importing the old posts. If you can’t find something by an old link reference, try the search function.
Last updated 2021-05-16
Thanks to Derek Sivers for the idea.